Monday 21 May 2012

Frustrations

I'm finding music rather frustrating at the moment. I'm trying to revise for my A-level exams which I am mid-way through, but it's proving extremely difficult. Aside from concentration and work issues in general, I have this thing where the minute I start to really apply my brain to something dull it immediately comes up with masses of ideas for creative pursuits, and a lot of these are ideas for lyrics and tunes. In essence this is a good thing as it's great to keep having new song ideas to work with, but a real wind-up if I'm trying to revise as it gives me a dilemma - keep working or sacrifice some study to develop the song (because I know that if I don't immediately work out the song on an instrument I will completely forget it).

I've forgotten loads of songs in my time. Some never made it to the piano keys or the guitar strings ad I've got over that. Some will be remembered years later when I stumble across the hastily scribbled lyrics in a lost notebook. But nowadays I'm scared to forget a song because what if that song is The One?

The One is the one song you write which sticks with someone their entire life. No matter how good an artist you are general, that one song will always be above the rest because it just means more. They're songs with potential to affect your life. It's very difficult to explain, but I'm sure most people experience several One songs in their lives. Some of mine are 'Don't Be Angry' by The Organ, 'Civilian' by Wye Oak, and 'Divenire' by Ludovico Einaudi (but only after 4:52). I can't explain what it is about them but I would jump through fire to keep listening to them.

My ultimate aim as a songwriter is to write a song that someone else connects to as much as I connect to those songs. That would be completely musically fulfilling. If I come up with that song whilst I'm working I don't want to throw that opportunity to craft that song away because, you know what, it means more to me than grades ever will. But it is a frustrating choice to have to make every day because it does get to a point where I can't justify leaving work to write music because I will end up entering that exam hall knowing nothing.

I did once read some research which suggested that we think more creatively when we 'distract' the analytical part of our brain with an academic task, so perhaps I am not alone in my experiences!


No comments:

Post a Comment